Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Rant 02: Current Movies Suck

To say I’ve been very disappointed with most of the products being currently churned out of the movie industry would be putting it mildly. If you ask me what some of my favorite movies are then I’ll have to say anything that was made before the mid to late 1990’s, since just about everything thus far have been mediocre at best. Ask my opinion about any movies I’ve seen that were made recently and I’ll tell you that I hated it outright, could only stand to see it once, or totally apathetic about it. I don’t know if this is due to the people behind the movies (creators, writers, producers, and directors) have become lazy or the newer generation have been getting continual mental farts. If it’s the latter then I guess that means the majority of movie watchers are becoming lazy and getting continual mental farts since they’re the ones that these movies are being made for. Of course I also have to question the so-called critics of the big-name magazines, newspapers, etc seeing as that always give a movie a good review even when it’s a total flop. Here are some of the trends I’ve seen:

1) Movies based on books; most of the best movies have been based on books but in almost all cases the books are still better! Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings, etc. In the case of the second series it was already made into a set of live-action movies for all the books in the saga!

2) Movies based on comics; except for Blade, Blade II, and Blade III I’ll have to say I was sorely disappointed with the recent productions based on classical characters from Marvel, DC Comics, etc. They keep on doing it even though most of the recreated characters can’t live up to the originals.

3) Remakes of classics; Disney is a big instigator of this, making remakes of some of their most classic works, and using one of the worst actresses possible :cough: Lindsey Lohan :cough:. One of the movies she did was actually the 2nd remake of Freaky Friday since Disney already did a TV adaptation in 1995! I also can’t stand to watch Tim Allen in anything since he participated in the atrocity when he did The Shaggy Dog, which also the 2nd remake of a beloved classic since there was a TV adaptation in 1994.

4) Sequels of more beloved classics; Disney is also guilty of this by making sequels (in some cases multiple sequels) of their classics. All I know is if they ever make a sequel of Sleeping Beauty I will write a scathing letter to them describing that their lack of creativity makes their evident stupidity prevalent to everyone.

5) Its not necessarily a sequel but there was a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie which stunk to high heaven! Trying to take a spin on a franchise to further revive it but only using the characters that everyone is familiar with everything else was new and awkward. I hate how they’ve been trying to revive franchises like TMNT without regard to the original flavor that made it so irresistible to the die-hard fans that first fell in love with the first animated series and three live-action movies.

6) Another reason why I think that last aforementioned movie sucked eggs was due to the abandonment of the beloved foam rubber suits and replaced them with computer animated facsimiles. I think the constant usage of computer graphics in movies sucked the life out of most movies. Before the computer replaced most of the special effects, cool make-up, and animatronics took away the art and passion that was put into it by the creativity team. It’s like they sucked the life blood out of it.

I’m just glad I was always more of an Anime and book fan since they’ve actually gotten better over the years in my opinion! Maybe its just American movies that have been downgrading in quality, but I guess this rant has been based on the byproducts of American culture! Or lack of… further note on that at another time.

No comments: